Auto Ads by Adsense

Monday, August 05, 2019

July 1st: Various Salzburg Attractions

I woke up early so I could scout out the platform where our train would arrive early the next day. To my relief, it was relatively accessible, with a stairwell and an elevator which would take the ebike but not the triplet. I paid extra attention to the diagram telling you where the bike car was, but didn't stick around to see the train arrive, which was a mistake, as it would give me a clue as to what I was in for the next day. Perhaps that was just as well, as I might have spent the day stressing about it.

Bowen had asked a couple of nights before if we could see the fortress. Rather than walk around town and listen to the kids moan and groan about the "huge" amount of walking they had to do, we extracted the bikes from the parking garage, and rode to the foot of the funicular! There, rather than buying tickets for the fortress and funicular, we bought Salzburg cards, which would grant us access to practically all the museums and attractions, while also giving us transit. It might or might not have been a better deal than paying separate tickets for all the attractions we would visit that day, but on the other hand, it also gave us the potential for skipping the lines.
The fortress was quite impressive, granting us great views of the city, as well as a brief history of the area, including who Leopold (where various towns, hotels, etc were named after) was. Both Bowen and Boen were given audio tour handsets, and Bowen seemed to actually enjoy listening to the introductions and pressing the buttons. It turned out that he was given a special kids version of the tour, which I was impressed by and must have been very well done, because he didn't get impatient, bored or skip a single number on the tour!
From there, we rode downtown to Mozart's birthplace museums, where the tickets let us into the museum and we got a nice small museum that didn't have an audio guide. Here Bowen and Boen were bored, since the exhibits required more reading skills, and they weren't terribly interested in Mozart. But it was interesting to me to see the various artifacts of Mozart's life, as well as the display of early pianofortes, which are much less impressive and bulky instruments than what you see today even in family rooms.
Lunch was followed by a visit to the hand-made candy store, where the staff happily gave samples of various candies to the kids and adults, and of course we ended up buying some of that very expensive candy based on the results of the sample. Then we got to ride across the bridge to the Mozart's house museum, which was actually a museum not about Mozart, but about his father, who was probably the original prototype for a tiger parent. The exhibits were interesting, and more importantly, the place was air conditioned and had listening stations where you could actually listen to Mozart senior's music, which occupied the kids enough for the parents to actually tour the museum proper.
It was so hot that kids were running around the street in swim wear. We walked over to an ice cream shop and had some ice cream but felt rain drops as we walked back to the bikes. We hurried rode back to the hotel, and got into the rooms just as a thunderstorm blew through!
That cooled down the city, but not as much as you might think. We ended up having dinner near the hotel, packing everything up and setting multiple alarms so we wouldn't miss the train the next morning.

No comments: